Friday, February 22, 2013

Some thoughts

            Recently I read two articles originally published in a popular business magazine and found them inspirational and encouraging; the stories stroke a chord and reminded me why I like to be public librarian and a good one.
            The most recent one was a story about a young lady working and positioned as certain executive in a successful restaurant chain stationed in Taiwan. She describes how she has worked hard not only with both hands but also her head and heart. From the start, she was hired as a dish washer; she had to wash a variety size of dishes and did it quickly to catch up with the flow of customers and the seemingly never ending of rush hours. Based upon the demand of efficiency and effectiveness, she has learned how to sort and place the dishes in order to clean them fast and have them ready for the next customers.
            Once the experiences became successful, she challenged herself more. By observation she has learned how to get the dishes done as fast as possible and how to have the employees work to their best. Rung after another, she climbed the ladder of promotion faster than anyone else. She, herself, is a hard worker and expects the best from her colleagues and employees. She said: there is no need to become buddies with the staff to be a good manager as long as the manager treats everyone and everything right and fair. If issues are presented on the table, in the open, then it’s a fair game. To her, management is about do the right thing and do the thing right. Such philosophy matches to one old Chinese say: dealing with the issue at hand instead of the people involved.
            Another article was about a publishing owner and the way he treats his employees. At five o’clock in the afternoon, this owner would patrol his company and send everyone home. No overwork is allowed in his company. Actually the company is the first to launch the idea of working four days instead of five per week in Taiwan. In addition, joy and excitement are infectious as the company’s employees talk about their annual trip to different places around the world. So far they have been to Turkey, Egypt, Holland, other countries and continents.
            When asked about how he manages his people and business, the boss said: I would continually ask myself to see if my service to others would make their life better and happier. It’s as simple as that.
            At the public library, I have the privilege to witness life of others as they walk in the library and provide me opportunity to serve their needs. The other day I got into a conversation with a lady who was checking out some books about two European countries. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked her if she was going to have or plan a trip. Yes, she was going to spend two weeks in Europe. From there I learned about her life and her plans at present and in the future. I admire her adventurous spirit and courageous heart dealing with difficulties in her life.
            It’s my customers who inspire and encourage me to aim for excellence and expectations beyond my imagination. I love public library and what it could do in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment