Monday, February 17, 2014

February Read/3



Title: Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don’t, And How to Make Any Change Stick
Author: Dean, Jeremy
Call Number: 153.85 D281M 2013
Subjects: Habit; Habit Breaking; Behavior Modification; Change; Self Control
Number of Pages: 264
ISBN: 9780738215983
Book Description (from the back cover):
            One of the goals of habit change is to make ourselves happier. We might be trying to improve our work habits so we can get more done in less time or our socializing habits so we can spend more time with friends and family. Good habits can do all sorts of things for us, but will they make us happy?...
            Habits, if they take complete control, can lock us into the same boring grooves. The challenge is to work out which habits keep leading to dead ends and which habits lead to interesting new experiences, happiness, and a sense of personal satisfaction.
            “Where will you start?”
My Read:
            “Where will you start?” The author ends the book by asking and provoking a question. I do appreciate reading such books that, after finished the book, would pique my curiosity and invite me to think, ponder, and reflect. By and large, I would ask the self the reason and purpose why I go on reading and searching more books to read: to satisfy my curious mind and at the same time, to find ways to better the self.
            The first question I like comes from page 13: “What did I plan to do today?” and “What do I actually want to do now?” The author states: “As a consequence, a world of possibility opens up. Being a soul of competitive in nature I usually would ask myself as I walk in the workplace: what goals I would like to achieve and the possibility of being able to accomplish. This goal setting mindset helps me to concentrate on tasks, especially those less people pay attention to.
            At page 44, it reads: A habit of thought activated outside conscious awareness can measurably change people’s behavior. This leads to the second question I recall from page 155: …As a result, what you want to change, and why, will become more obvious. Though it might not be related to the topic of habit it does have similar theme. I am now mentoring two coworkers who hold potentials and own the right work morale and attitudes. Repetitively I share with them the following mindset I have acquired over the years: cultivate the habit and build up the ability to savor and enjoy the tasks that most people dislike and hate. It’s an ability leading to happiness; the kind of happiness comes from owning a sense of achievement. And this directs us to the following…
            “The “how” of happiness is the problem because it can be difficult to say exactly what provides happiness.” The how question is not as difficult as it seems. Sense of achievement, to me, comes from who you are, who you want to be, and who you know you are. Life is full of possibilities, opportunities, and challenges helping a person to become who s/he is meant to be. For instance, customer service is, to me, about self-growth. What attitude you acquire, and the values you cherish would reflect on what you are willing to do to help your customers. How would you feel if you were at the other side of the service counter? Ask yourself as often as possible…You would find your heart becomes softer and some part of your body and mind would melt as a smile is looking at you. For being mindful is about living in the moment (page 153).
            Overall I especially enjoy reading chapter 12 titled “Creative Habits.” It’s a coincidence that creativity is the topic I recently had a talk with my son; he is a college senior majoring Art. At page 199 it states: Psychologists have found that some of the most productive constraints, those that enable us to throw off habitual patterns of thought, are those that imagine a different world-that ask, “what if?” For example, what if we abolished money? Or, what if we turned the Internet off? Or, what if… The chapter also introduces the idea of making connection between creativity and the ability to generate opposites. This reminds me of the idea from another book I read about innovation. In that book one of the methods to get innovative is to look at the opposite when everyone else is looking at the same direction.
            “Put crudely, if you add up all these little ups and downs, what emerges is your level of happiness within the limits set by your genes and circumstances.”-page 218
            “When these people are fully engaged with their current activity they are happier.”-page 226
            “Be looking for something new in the familiar.”-page 227
            To sum up, the most helpful tip I got from reading this book is that if one wants to change certain habit the most efficient way is to change environment. This reminds me of an ancient story about a wise mother who relocated 3 times to help her son grow into a legend sage: Meng Tzu.
            “Where will you start?”

           

No comments:

Post a Comment