Friday, December 19, 2014

December Read



Title: Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness
Author: Smalley, Susan L.
Call Number: 616.89142 S635F 2010
Subjects: Mindfulness-based cognitive; Meditation
Number of Pages: 260
ISBN: 9780738213248
Book Description (from amazon.com):
            Mindfulness—the art of paying attention with an open and curious mind to present-moment experiences—has attracted ever-growing interest and tens of thousands of practitioners, who have come to the discipline from both within and outside the Buddhist tradition. In Fully Present, leading mindfulness researchers and educators Dr. Sue Smalley and Diana Winston provide an all-in-one guide for anyone interested in bringing mindfulness to daily life as a means of enhancing well-being. Fully Present provides both a scientific explanation for how mindfulness positively and powerfully affects the brain and the body as well as practical guidance to develop both a practice and mindfulness in daily living, not only through meditation but also during daily experiences, such as waiting in line at the supermarket, exercising, or facing difficult news.
My Read:
            This phrase from page 42 in the book really amazes me. It states: Breath as a window on the mind. Here we have “breath,” “window,” and “mind.” At the beginning of chapter five there is this quote from Publilius Syrus (Roman author, first century BCE): “The pain of the mind is worse than the pain of the body. Personally I believe that our mind controls almost everything about the self; we are what the mind thinks. Sleepless nights, when there are no obvious physical issues, are caused by the overworking racing mind.
            “Breath is a good barometer for your state of mind.”-page 47. When I tried the mindfulness practices listen in the book I fully agree with the authors that it’s simple but it’s not easy. The first few tries, my breathing became difficult; I couldn’t breathe in enough air and the blowing out of air became sluggish and ragged. I was feeling like a drowning person struggling for air. The shoulders felt so tense and tight that I was afraid they would cramp and get into bouts of spasms. The mind was where else, just not with me. The more I tried the more tense my body became. It’s definitely not easy!
            My tries is proof of the saying that “The mind-body relationship is bidirectional-the mind can influence the body, and the body can influence the mind.”
            The following are notes I took from reading this book:
“You are not the emotion.” Instead of saying “I am angry” thinking “I have anger.”-page 116
“Do I feel like it is my emotion or the emotion?” “Hold yourself with kindness.”-page 119
“It appears that as the brain shifts from less to more coherent, we may shift from sad to happy.”-page 132
“We suggest here that mindfulness enhances attachment not only to your own self and to others but to the whole universe and your place in it.”-page 131
“How do we disidentify? One main tool for disidentifying in the midst of difficult thinking is to label your thoughts just as you label your emotions.”-page 186
“Aha. I am in the midst of aversion, it’s not personal to me, it’s just a passing mental state.”-page 205
“It’s through obstacles that we are stretched and learn something new about ourselves: our fortitude, courage, persistence, and ingenuity.”-page 207
“Most of our thoughts are about things we regret from the past or things we are worried about in the future.”-page 13
            From reading this book I got three things together. They are: Mindfulness, Wisdom, and Compassion.
            The following saying from the book is powerful and let me share here:
Practice changes the brain.-page 7

No comments:

Post a Comment