Thursday, April 9, 2015

April Read/John

Title: True Grit
Author: Charles Portis
John's Read:
"Well, shuck my grits, pard" said Tex. "That was a very good book." 

"Aw, Tex, you got that right" said Cody. "I enjoyed every word. Heck, while we were moseying along on the trail I was just thinking_" 
"You got that right, I almost fell out of my saddle too when I thought about the humor, it was so funny" injected Tex. "And I really liked the dialog between Mattie and the Colonel Stonehill during their negotiations."

"Me too, and_"
"I think this writing is as good as 'Lonesome Dove'" interrupted Tex, "but doesn't have the epic quality, LD being kinda long."

"I agree" confirmed Cody, "but_"
"Yeah, but also up there with L'Amour's work, with good descriptions of the trails and countryside even without as much of his geologic info" jumped in Tex. 

"Right you are_" countered Cody, but before he could go on Tex again continued on his roll: "And interesting characters like Zane Grey's, the Master himself, just certainly not as prolific a writer as ZG." 

"Sure and_" Cody tried to quickly interject, but Tex's words shot out of his pistol-thoughts, already quick drawn from his holster mind with lightning speed, "And I really like the way Portis contrasted the personalities and characters of his people, Rooster's rough hewn toughness versus LeBoeuf's uppity and by-the-book way, and their collective savy experience up against Mattie's naive but unshakable ideals and insistence of doing the right thing. Plus, whoa, those gunfights! Good action, page turning narrative, why, talking about this has given me a powerful appetite" continued Tex, "though you sure have been quiet about it. Let's ride on over to the chuck wagon - maybe it'll loosen your tongue to get some ranch beans and biscuits in you."

"Well, blaze my saddle_"

No comments:

Post a Comment