Sunday, January 6, 2013

January Read/1

Title: Bury My Heart at Conference Room B: the Unbeatable Impact of Truly Committed Managers
Author: Slap, Stan
Subjects: Management; Organizational Effectiveness; Success in Business
Call Number: 658.4/09
ISBN: 9781101438404
Number of Pages: 274
Book Description:
This book is about igniting the power of any manager's emotional commitment to his or her company--worth more than financial, intellectual and physical commitment combined. Sometimes companies get this from their managers in the early garage days or in times of tremendous gain, but it's almost unheard of to get it on a sustained, self-reinforced basis. Of course your company is only going to get it if you're willing to give it. Slap proves that emotional commitment comes from the ability to live your deepest personal values at work and then provides a process that allows you to use your own values to achieve success.—From Publisher Description
My Read:
            “Unconditional support,” “open and honest communication,” “listened to without judgment,” “forgiven even if you stumble” those are conditions or elements a reader would find in this e-book I just read this past week. The book promises from the beginning that after reading this book one would find the messages etched on the pages provocative and productive. I did find this promise true, at least, I want to believe what the visions the author prescribed are workable and effective at the workplace I call home.
            “You should live your values at work.” This is where the emotional commitment would come from. So while and after reading this book I checked the list of values the author and I recognized the most three values I have had in my life: accomplishment, altruism, and passion. There is no wonder why I like to work in the public library and why I have tried very hard to keep my spirit as high as possible every time I walk in the building.
            Even though this book is aimed for the management and managers I find this book inspiring, provoking, and encouraging. If you are a person of curiosity and you would like to find some answers on how to become a complete person, then the messages are for you to question and find answers of your own life. If you are a searcher looking for the meaning of life or how to enjoy being the person you have become, then the book invites you to think about, ponder over what and where to turn the rocks and discover your treasures.
            “There is no finer feeling than being warm inside when it’s cold outside.” The moment I read this sentence the warmth was brought out from my inside and I totally realized what it really means. The implication and meaning from this sentence dug up plenty of beautiful memories I have had in my life, specially those difficult moments I had had in the past. I remember a tap on my shoulder one evening I got from my supervisor when I was confused and upset. The light tap on my shoulder was heavy yet it warmed my heart and a spread of warmth, like a strike of lightning, quickly extended its temperature and intensity to my limbs. A person is able to recognize a kind heart from gestures as small as just a look or a tap on the shoulder. When it’s done at the right moment, at the right place, and from the right person the impact and influence are so deep and huge that it registers in a person’s memory as tight as a layer of skin to muscles.
            Reading this book will assist you to discover who you are and what makes you a unique and special person in others’ eyes.
Find your heart, discover the values you have owned then you know who you are.
Reference:
The following link will give you a kind of condensed version of this good book.


No comments:

Post a Comment