Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Time Tea at the Library


            Ruby, Abby, and I had a great time at the Time Tea meeting today though Abby and I had to take turn attending the meeting due to shortage of staff. When the number of members became slim the situation itself created a great opportunity to learn about personal backgrounds, individual life experiences, and other private issues. Today was one of the good examples between Ruby and me.
            We talked about the current issues at hand: Sherri’s attending a wedding in the windy city: Chicago, Fiona’s taking care of a family whose 3 year-old son is battling with certain cancer, and Lily’s busy schedule around the coming holiday season. Then back to Ruby’s and my own life in the past week. Though the setting was in the library’s auditorium, the soft and warm dim lights embracing the two of us made us feel like seating at a quiet corner in a high end coffee shop sipping our tea, savoring goodies on the table, and enjoying each other’s company. The atmosphere opened two hearts and invited soul talking. It’s another successful session of the Tea Time.
            In return, Ruby and I asked personal questions regarding to the experiences of learning foreign languages. Ruby wished she could have had the right mind set to have a well defined and designed plan 10 years earlier. At younger age, it’s difficult to own a clear view or perspective for there were so many distractions going on in a person’s life: births of children, fulfillment of careers, relationship to build and maintain. One’s mind and heart were always on the race for something “due” tomorrow or things to acquire and keep. Busy, busy, busy.
            My case was similar to what Ruby told me. There were worries seeming hard to deal with or overcome that I got myself stuck on the loop of worrying. I didn’t learn the power of positive thinking at that period of time. It’s after I entered the library world that I got to know more about myself. Instead of worrying things or imaging the unknown and uncertainty, I have learned how to see situations, events, and things from different angles. And don’t forget the power of reflection and self-awareness. The brain and mind are for thinking, pondering, creating, and reflecting. A life without reflection and thinking is a life empty of hope and void of dream. At least, that’s what happened to me.
            The mission statement is a shared value for everyone working for the library. Because you have faith in it, you believe and make a connection between the mission the library wants to achieve and what you can contribute to make that mission accomplished. The mission statement serves as a voice loudly claims what the public library can do to make a difference in a person’s life, to the communities it serves. It is also a reminder and foundation for the staff to remember why what they do matter to the users, to the society.
            Ruby’s case encourages me to go for my goals: to the serve the people, to create value for the other people and to touch people’s lives. A person grows into a millionaire by saving a penny from the beginning. Without the number 1 ahead of the many zeros all there will be are zeros. Ruby is the 1 I am saving and investing. There is hope that 1 (one) will generate another 1 and two will grow into four. I am not that good at math but good enough to bet that the number will become bigger if I go on trying, giving, and sharing. Who knows what the number will be. It’s a mystery worth of working on. Let’s see.

No comments:

Post a Comment