Sunday, December 2, 2012

God Speed, Eric and the Family


            Time flies at such a speed that it seems the speed does a funny trick on our memory; at least it does on mine. It seems like recent that I have met this young man and his growing family with three brilliant and look alike boys aging from five to five months old. Last year of this time we had a great dinner together at a local authentic Taiwanese style restaurant to welcome them to the community. This year at the same time we had another getting together dinner at the same diner. Except this time it’s a farewell dinner; the whole family is ready to relocate to the other state. Eric, father of three, is going to start his career at a promising finance company.
            A person might not be impressed at Eric’s average height and looks. Once a conversation begins one’s perception of and impression on Eric would be changed. It’s his expression and matter of a fact manner that would cut a groove in one’s mind about him. His confidence permeates through words he chose, through the looks he has had speaking or explaining something, and into the conversations he had with people. When he spoke there was no trace of doubt or hesitation on the topics or subjects at the interactions. This is what impressed me and had me believe that the family’s future including the kids’ is very bright and full of hope and promises.
            At work I met plenty of people from different backgrounds, some from local and some as far as Australia. Their needs and demands differed just like the manners and behaviors of those patrons’. I was amazed at what those people could teach me even when the situations were an unpleasant one. I remember this phone call made by a gentleman. Out of blue he started to talk about a family event that upset him to this extreme that he couldn’t stop talking to a librarian, a total stranger. His tone told me he was really emotional and had a need to vent out the negative feelings toward a person important to him. What should I do? I heard him out and listened to him and his concerns, worries, and uncertainty. It’s an interesting experience.
            Another case dated back last summer. It’s a group of seniors, tourists from Australia. They came in to ask to access the internet to do some wire transaction; they stroke a deal and had to pay for the purchase. It’s a huge amount: $75,000. Once they were certain that the public computer is secure, they completed the access and wired the money from their home country. In and out, this group of seniors visited the library more than twice. While waiting for the process to complete, I got into conversation with them. Knowing they would spend months in the US I gave them my name, email addresses, and phone numbers telling them not to hesitate to call me in case they needed help. In return they gave me their names. We are all travelers and who knows when we will need a kind hand to give us assistance and help? Their trust and bravery to tour this country self-guided told me they are good people.
            Eric’s successful story tells me this country is indeed a dreamland for whoever has a dream to fulfill as long as one is willing to try and do his best. Eric finished all his graduate school classes this past June and passed all the CPA required exams by the end of September. He applied for a job by sending just one company and he got hired! His case proves what I have believed: one has to try and do his best then Heavenly help will arrive at the right time.
            Next Wednesday Eric and his family will move to a new place they would call home and begin Eric’s blooming and booming career. Eric gave me his new home address, email, and phone number telling me if I travel to that state don’t forget to stop by and pay him and the family a visit. I sure will.
            People came in and out the library. They might leave or never come back again. Still, some of the people and what and how they dealt with me do cut a deep groove in my mind and register in my memory. Those people and the beautiful memories are fuels and engines charge me and drive me at the workplace I like so much.
            We, staff of the public library, are the connections between the books and the people we serve. It’s a holy profession. 

No comments:

Post a Comment