Thursday, December 6, 2012

Will to Learn


            It’s another productive day at work though there was not as many items waiting to be shelved as yesterday or the day before. Thanks to my manager, Abby, and Jennifer, this year I have learned a lot about work ethics, how to be more efficient to approach people, and about life itself. Sense of great gratification drove me to ask for some fund from my family to do some shopping for these people who have made my day at work as if living in some paradise where working hard is a shared value and spirit without asking for. Today’s inviting weather gave me a hint that today would be the day for shopping. Off I went.
            I finished my lunch in my car and I almost jumped out of my car and headed for the shop. Then a voice told me why not to do some marketing and distributing coming events in the library while I did the purchase. Equipped with gathered calendars I got from my major sponsor having them in a big tote bag I set off for the adventure of marketing, a field new to me and one I expect myself to be good at.
            The tour began with a well renowned bank. Before entering my first chosen target I told myself it’s normal to get a No from whomever I would talk to. If it’s the worst scenario I was going to encounter then I had nothing to lose except maybe my face and a sense of hurt of my big ego. Well, I would take care of it later on my way back to the library. Not surprising, the representative at the service counter told me the branch manager was occupied and I might try it again another time. “Thank you. And here is a gift good for a whole year for you.” I gave the nice lady one of the calendars and thanked her.
            I got fourteen coupons from a chain restaurant and two contact names and phone numbers from stores’ managers. Not too bad I should say at my first try. At the body work shop I felt awkward for I am not a big fan for fragrance, body lotion, and other products. Back and forth I toured the store, asked questions, and shook my head a lot. Then I remember the way my coworkers dressed themselves. Colors would do the trick and smell might give me some clues. One person at a time I told myself. Blue and purple came first, pink and red second, and exotic flower and colors followed.
            As I watched the lady do the wrapping I got her talking to me. It turned out the person behind her is the store manager. “Sorry, all such requests have to be sent to the district management.” “I understand, thank you.” Then I gave the lady who helped me wrap a calendar. “It would be great on the office wall.” At hearing this and saw the expression on the lady wrapping for me I got another calendar and handed it to the manager. “I can take the calendar home.” I saw the smile on the nice helping lady. Fortunately I was ready and had enough calendars to give away.
            On my way back to the library I saw two police officers savoring their coffee outside a coffee shop. I backed off and presented myself in front of their table; another two calendars were out of my big tote bag. Then the third officer came out the coffee shop and joined the pair. I gave the third friend I ran into a calendar. In addition to the calendars, I distributed some of my event’s fliers to different people I talked to. “You are invited.” I thanked them and wished them well.
            I consider such tour and visit a self training. If there is no such training at workplace why not find some out of the system. It’s not too hard. The hardest part is the will to learn. I believe if one has no heart or will to undertake or act on some classes, projects, or programs there is no shortage of ruses or excuses convenient and ready for a person to defend and reason with. The will comes from strong determination for excellence and the heart dominates and makes decisions. If both of them, will and heart, are absent, what’s left to drive a person for success, greatness, or something worth of efforts and trying?
            Will to learn and heart to give is driving forces for excellence, greatness, and happiness. How willing are you to learn, to give, or to share with? If you are honest with yourself and find the answer, the path to success and happiness is not too far.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment