Monday, May 27, 2013

Mary




       

   This is Mary. We ran into each other at the library in this past winder. It’s a bright day yet the temperature was not as shiny as the day. Mary had on a bright red sweater with top the same color covered by the sweater. She looked so elegant and ladylike that I couldn’t help but kept on talking to her. As usual, I walked her to the entrance. As I learned that her husband and their car were not at the parking lot as she tried to walk out the building I stopped her. The two of us stood by the double door talking and watching the people in and out the library and kept our eyes on lookout for her husband. Eyes back and forth I tried hard to keep her company and man my desk at the same time. The wait turned out to be one of the best experience I have had being a librarian.
           From day one Mary didn’t show any difficulty understanding me. It’s a kind gesture I need at my profession. When you have people claiming they totally couldn’t understand a word you say Mary’s consideration and understanding are a gift I truly appreciate and hope more would come to my way.
            Acceptance is the most crucial element in any relationship including dealing with the self. Only after you accept who you are you have the door open to opportunity, potential, and success for your future. Mary’s kindness helps me realize the importance of acceptance and understanding.
            Mary’s presence reminds me of my own mother and how essential an education system is to a person. There is a twenty years difference between my mother and Mary. Mary reads my mother doesn’t. Never in my life did I see my mother read a book or any magazine. My mother holds no degree at all though she is the brightest and wisest person in the household. I imagine how much happier my mother would have become if she had been given the opportunity to go to school at proper age.
            Mary is not only a patron; she is a dear friend and a positive influence in my life, at work as well as in personal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment