Friday, November 30, 2012

A Sacred Place


            I was thinking and feeling she was going to give me a hug in front of the library saying goodbye so I moved a bit forward and bent down ready to give and receive a warm and friendly hug. God forbidden, I was wrong this time. Instead of a hug, this nice lady gave me a kiss on my cheek then hugged me saying goodbye. Waving our goodbyes, I told her it’s my pleasure to serve her, to serve the public. She said thank you and appreciated what the public library did for the communities, and the users. Smiling, I turned my back leaving the nice and inviting weather behind me and thinking what a nice patron she is and how nice the weather was. It’s a double take for me.
            Yesterday, I got a flying kiss from a patron who is also a member of the WOW Reading Club. Nowadays, more and more patrons told me and shared how they felt about this library. “This library is different from the other public libraries I visited.” “Why, and how?” I asked. “Because the staff are friendlier; they greet us with smiles and treat me really nice.” Whenever I had such conversations and heard the positive feedback from patrons I felt so honored and happy able to reach to people with education, knowledge, and skills I have acquired over the years from my family life, schooling, and interactions with a variety of people.
            Over and over, again and again, I thanked to the customers and patrons for they place their trust on us, staff of the library. They might not know how hard we have worked under different challenging circumstances and difficult situations and conditions; it’s a combination of challenges of physical, mental, and spiritual. They might not know the primary reason I like to work in a public library is because it’s a place holding promising hope, future dreams, and a vault for happiness. Yes, happiness. For I ran into my happiness in the library almost everyday. How?
            First of all, I felt honored to serve the people who walked in the library. They trust me enough to try me, to allow me to find ways to help them meet their needs. For instance, this lady was frustrated because she couldn’t print out what she needed from her email using the desktop the library owns. When all methods I have known failed me, I tried my last resort. And it worked. The moment I saw the form I felt my heart skipped a beat. The immediate joy overwhelmed me as if I was the person in need of this piece of paper. I came to the lady with the paper hidden behind me. “You do owe me a cup of coffee, Ma’am. Here you are.” Her change was spontaneous at the sight of the printout. “Ma’am, hardly did I give up too soon. You have to, at least, give me a try.” Still she told me her concerns about the public computers telling me how frustrating the situation would become. I assured her I would be glad to assist her whenever she comes. “But, are you here everyday? Do you work on Saturdays?” “Yes, and yes to both of your questions” She left the building with a smile. Give me a chance, don’t give up too soon on me or yourself.
            Secondly, it’s the patrons who made me a better person. Their degree of satisfaction is a pivot telling me how I could make changes to adjust and adapt to fit in the public environment, what I could do to meet different requests and needs, and where I could get help to meet the excellence and sense of achievement I have been working for. We, human beings, are similar to the seasons: there are warmth, heat, coolness, and coldness. People’s behaviors differ and the emotions and feelings change over the years based upon individual’s life experiences and personal expectations from life. It seems so complicated, full of challenges, and so hard to control or even conquer. But there is one thing one could have in control: to be yourself. You are the only one person makes the choices, puts the heart on things matters to you, and acts on the choices you select. Thanks to patrons and people in the library, I have grown and learned a lot.
            Though I have been physically exhausted and challenged, I am mentally and spiritually happy and satisfied. Everyday I went back home with sense of achievement; I was proud of what I have done at work for I did give my best to a place I love and care so much. I gave and did my best. Books and other items won’t stop coming in; they are means I make a living. Each book is heavy for it might answer someone’s questions and save a soul. Books and habit of reading is a person’s best friend; they are loyal and always there ready to assist and answer a person’s requests and hunger for answers or pique more questions to help a person grow, develop, and glow. And library is the place holding the priceless values and treasure.
            The public library is a sacred place. People and books are visible; they are there for the public to access and use. It’s the invisible and unseen that holy to me: the hidden knowledge waiting for users to browse, search, study, and digest, the trust the patrons have on the staff, and the will and commitment from the staff to assist and serve. The spirit of giving is what glues all the things together. The will to give is the value I cherish and see in a person.
The library is a place I call home. A sacred place indeed!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment