Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Lydia's One Word for This Year-Perseverance

Lydia's One Word:
I chose the word “perseverance” for this year. I usually make a few resolutions at the beginning of the year. But I’ve never kept the resolutions until the end of the year. Sometimes I keep it for a few days as a proverb, “a resolution good for only three days”. I always make a lot of excuses for my laziness. That’s why I chose the word “perseverance”. I want to overcome my laziness this year. I think perseverance is the first essential quality to achieve my goal.
I think the members of WOW reading club are helping me to persevere in my efforts, so I can reach my goal. We meet once a week and all of the members are encouraging me to read a book, to practice English and to think about my future. I’m lucky to meet the book club members, Ruby, Mei-Wan, Patti and Sherri.
In Korea, we have a proverb, “You could find your teacher if you gather three people”. Now all of the reading club members are my teachers. At first, I met Ruby last year in ESL class. She was very nice and gave me useful information to adapt the new life in America. She really enjoys helping others. Next, I was impressed when I met Mei-Wan in a Chinese restaurant. She spoke English fluently (That’s my dream since I came to America^^) and she was enthusiastic in influencing others. And I met Patti and Sherri at the reading club. They not only help with my poor English but also help understanding culture, history and community of America. They get me to think about my future after I finish raising my children. They spend their time developing themselves and helping others.

What can I do for my community in the future? I shall persevere in my efforts…

No comments:

Post a Comment