Monday, November 5, 2012

November Read/1


Title: Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives
Author: Newton, Michael, PH.D.
Subjects: Spiritualism; Death; reincarnation-Case Studies
Call Number: 133.9013 N565J 1996
Number of Pages: 278 p
ISBN: 9781567184853
Book Description: Open the door to the waiting room of the soul. This remarkable book uncovers-for the first time-the mystery of life in the spirit world after death on earth. Dr Michael Newton, a hypnotherapist in private practice, has developed his own hypnosis technique to reach his subjects’ hidden memories of the hereafter. The resulting narrative acts as a progressive “travel log” of the accounts of twenty-nine people who were placed in a state of superconsciousness. While in deep hypnosis, these subjects movingly describe what has happened to them between their former reincarnations on earth or other planets within and outside our galaxy. They reveal graphic details about how it feels to die, who meets us right after death, what the spirit world is really like, where we go and what we do as souls, and why we choose to come back in certain bodies.
            After reading this book, Journey of Souls, you will gain a better understanding of the immortality of the human soul… and you will meet day-to-day personal challenges with a greater sense of purpose as you begin to understand the reasons behind events in your own life.
My Read: The most helpful and meaningful message I learned from reading this book is the discovery of purpose of life. Or should I say the verification and confirmation of what I have believed in life: the purpose of life is to self-actualize.
When the term “self-actualization” got into view as I read line after line turning the pages, I looked up at the online dictionary to double check its definition and explanation. It is defined: To develop or achieve one’s full potential. But what and how?
Though the twenty-nine cases were about a person’s self journey shuttling back and forth from the spirit world and the Earth, I couldn’t help but wonder if there were hidden implications of why we lived as groups, entities crowded with other bodies and souls. Then the author stated at the end of the book: We bear responsibility in the evolution of a higher consciousness for ourselves and other in life. Thus, our journey is a collective one. We have lived to self-actualize in order to help each other and by assisting one another not only have we been able to fully bring out our best and potential to achieve goals we also discover the secret of ultimate happiness and joy: the state of selflessness. 
After reading this book I came to understand that reviewing this book would become a challenge for a person has to really turn the pages, read the book with an empty state of mind, unbiased and non-judgmental, and peruse the book with a heart that is willing to listen to and hear the fascinating true stories of fellow human beings, people like us.
The cases, of course, are truly intriguing for hardly did a person know about the world afterlife or the spirit world, a place forbidden to be known. I have known that one day I would go back “home” for I have heard the place “old home” over and over again ever since I was a little girl. No doubt, in my mind, there is home some where I belong to and will go back after this body on earth is worn out and no longer available for me to wear. Reading this book verifies my belief and thought.
The help after reading this book is for me to convince myself that I am unique in my own way. No one could understand oneself than oneself. The question for me is not why we are here or who we are. The one I have is how to develop and grow myself so not only can I develop and grow myself to the highest level but, at the same time, to create values for other people and touch people’s lives, people with body and soul, just like me.
Then I recalled what I have read in the book somewhere. It talked about to work in helping professions. This mention really cheered me up and served as a confirmation message I am in need of. Working in a public library perfectly suits me and fits my personality.
A counselor used to tell me that “enough” is good enough. Is it true? It depends upon circumstances and places; lots of factors and elements have to be put into considerations. Yet, in the field of services, excellence should be the guideline and standard. It’s not what we serve that would touch a person’s heart. Instead, it’s how we deal with the person and situation that matters and would have a brush touching a person’s heart and soul.   

No comments:

Post a Comment