Friday, November 9, 2012

Whispers of Trees


            At my lunch break, if weather allowed, I would have my warm lunch box with me and dine in my car at the library’s parking lot. After satisfying my hunger, I left my car, locked it and moved to the farthest corner of the parking lot to sit and do some arms exercise under shades of trees. Eyes closed, I relaxed myself and focused my attention to my two arms. At the same time, I reminded myself to breathe in the precious flowing fresh air not only through my nose but also to take in the air by my exposed skin cells.
            Today, as I walked to the my usual spot, I noticed the line of trees moving in colors of autumn as if groups of ancient beautiful ladies were dancing with their narrow and slender waists swinging back and forth along with the flow of winds blowing this way and that way taking turns to be in harmony with the beauties. As I watched I could feel my own neck and head moving sideways as if hypnotized to follow the gorgeous golden dancers. And don’t forget the delicate music played by the trees and winds.
            Calling it music for I truly was short of vocabulary to describe to what I was hearing and listening. If the waving and swinging of the trees with rich autumn colors was the feast for the eyes, then the whispers of trees were melody coming from paradise, a heaven lack of human’s activities. The rhythm made by trees caressing each other was simple yet appealing to my ears. Simplicity is the beauty of things important to a person.
            Today as I sat and felt the work of Nature on me a simple peace and calm came to me as the sound of people coming and going reminded me I am not living alone; no one is truly independent walking the roads of life. Complexity or simplicity, sometimes, is just a thought of a person’s own perspective. If anything I could have control of or be in charge of, it would how I think of this world. I, not you or others; I am the one responsible for and take the lead of my own life.
            Sometimes, I wondered as I sat at my usual spot where the winds come from; the mystery of their origin intrigued me. Then I saw farther by looking up at the immense of the sky and the moving clouds. The blowing winds are invisible yet seen by the movements of trees or should we say the trees’ leaves. Leaves?
            Then I found certain part of me awaken by the thoughts of winds, trees, and leaves. The whispers came from the leaves, not the trees themselves. Trees are trees: stern, stable, and solidly rooted underground. They were not moved at all; it’s the leaves who danced along the blowing of the winds. The trees stay calm and in peace.
            To me, trees represent serenity and a sense of evenness of mood. Leaves are like emotions, senses, and feelings. They could be moved or changed by stimulus from outside world. The interactions would cause noises and sounds, pleasant as well as unpleasant ones. If one’s mood is up it’s melody to our ears. It would be noisy if one’s mood is foul.
            Lessons I learned from the trees I watched and listened to were precious: don’t forget my root and the tree I have grown. I am a tree of my kind. What kind of music or melody I would like to listen to or play depends upon how I see, feel, or decipher things. Perspectives and thoughts are originated from the interaction I deal with people, things, or any circumstance. Solidly and sternly rooted where I stand I would know that the directions I walk, follow, and lead are full of hope, promise, and greatness.
            Nature is the best mentor a person should follow and listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment