Friday, November 16, 2012

What Do You Want And Have?

            Last night I was among of many people sitting at a special meeting. Listened in and looked around the room I wondered what I have accomplished in the past five years working for the public library. Many questions swam in my mind as I watched and listened to Lynette giving a speech in front of the audience. Lights behind her though warm giving caused some difficulty for me to take good pictures of her. Well, it’s just like life: You might gain something. Still at the same time you lose something.
            Someone at the same meeting last night came to me and asked me a question: Why were you happy all the time? Every picture of you it seemed you smiled all the time.
“Well, it’s simple; because the library is my home and my playground.” It’s just that simple and straightforward. I used to call the library my playground. And it’s Lynette, my branch manager, gave me the idea that the library is “home.” It’s my home, indeed and Lynette is the parent/leader. Management has been her choice of career and love of her life.
            “The reason I like management is because I like to interact with people and to grow and develop people.” More than once, Lynette shared with me her love of management. It’s not an easy job for each and every person comes from different backgrounds with different concepts, ideas, and opinions about their lives. The fact that every soul is born with their unique characteristic and personality won’t make the job much easier either. But…
            “It’s rewarding.” Lynette went on. By coaching and mentoring a person to grow, develop, even to glow a manager grows at the same time. If you believe in that self-actualization and ability to give are the purposes and meanings of life then being a great boss definitely interprets well that belief. One’s own achievements might bring in joy and satisfaction at some point. But how deep and wide are those personal successes and accomplishments? Do you create values for other people, acquired as well as strangers? Do you truly touch people’s lives? And how?
            If you are good at math you can make a mental estimation. You grow a person and help that person promoted and moved up to certain position(s). This mentee of yours is going to do the same thing: to recognize other candidates at work or places she sets her foot in. Then the same process goes on. Now you have two and two spreads into four. Four becomes eight. The game keeps on and on. It’s like generations repeat themselves. It’s amazing, isn’t it? Somewhere in the world someone is doing the good deeds that you have faith in and advocate by cloning the process and efforts.
            Plenty of time I went home physically exhausted and starving. After treatment of a hot shower, some energy came back with promising ideas generated by the storming of hot water. It’s my time to regain energy of spirit. When the feeling was right, dancing sounds of keyboards stroking could be heard from my desk. Without struggle of thinking, I let my hands led by my mind and heart. Nonstop, I would finish what came to me without any break. It’s as if my hands knew what I want.
            What I want is pretty clear: I want to have a family at work.
I have a dream. I dream that one day when members, including me, “grow up” and are ready, they are going to spread the spirit of the family to places allowing them to make a difference, to create values for people they run into, and to touch people’s lives.
I have a dream. I dream people would become eager and honored to have my family members join their group, system, or organization.
I have a dream. I dream that the spirit of friendly good-fellowship of “my family” not only has impact on people but the influence and values my family has created would become contagious and pass along one generation after another.
I have a dream. I dream “my family” would one day become an exemplary branch in the city. Under Lynette’s excellent leadership and free style management, everyone is allowed to own the privilege and joy to be themselves. Unleashed, one’s ideas and proposals would be seriously put into consideration. Once the proposals and agendas are approved and accepted, Lynette would offer assistance, i.e. she would help decorate the auditorium, design and make copies of posters and flyers, do the needed marketing things; she even would fund a bit for your programs if there is an issue of sponsorship. Such freedom and privilege have to be earned though, in my own personal opinion. You have to make efforts and make the initiative move.
Do you have a dream or dreams? What do you want and have? It all originates from your heart. Find some times to listen to what your heart is telling and voicing. It’s never too late to make a difference in your life and others’.
Stop! Look! And listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment