Thursday, September 13, 2012

Darling, Don’t Go


     Did you ever have that kind of sensation that something was happening as the time being and you had no clue what it was until later as you had time to be with yourself and finally came to understand what’s what? This week, thanks to two patrons, I had such rare experiences on the same day. Twice, amazing, isn't it?
     I was scheduled at the circulation desk to back up the service for we were one representative short this week. A gentleman, one of our regulars, waved indicating he needed assistance. Right away, I knew he was in need of someone to help him get online to check his email. As the screen changed pages, I was ready to turn back to my desk. “Darling, don’t go” I looked down at him. But he already bent his back and tried to type something onto his desktop. He mumbled something that held me back and stood there listening and hearing what he said and requested. Focused on helping him, I totally forgot my duty at the desk. It’s this gentleman who gave me a precious lesson on listening-a communication skill that I am really short of. What he mumbled that evening brought empathy out of me and led me to really listen to and hear him. The sensation was strange yet so real that I had to ponder later that night upon what’s happened to me and the change I was feeling inside of me.
     One minute to the closing hour, I spotted this lady at the audio books area grabbing something off the shelves. I followed her to the self checkout machine to help her. As she was busy at the machine, I asked “Is this how you read books?” She replied as she was checking out the CDs. She works in Fort Worth. “And you live in here?” “Yes. I listen to the CDs on my way to work and back home.” “It’s a long trip.” “Yes, it is. And I checked out a real book after listening to its CDs. It’s really a good book that I enjoyed.” After the checkout process, we said our goodbyes. On my way home, I couldn’t help but think of this lady’s daily long trip. And I blamed myself for I should have given her our phone number and my name for her to call ahead to request CDs before she comes here next time. It would save her time and provide her a good opportunity to really find and check out items that really please her and meet her needs. Maybe next time, I made a mental note. This lady, like the gentleman, taught me a lesson of empathy.
     If we consider the life is a process of learning, growing, and self-discovering, working in the public library is like going to school to learn, to become a better person. Patrons come from different backgrounds and each of them has his/her own story. If I pay more attention, there are plenty of good teachers to give me lessons if I am able to listen to and hear them out. Of course, nothing would be perfect and things might not go as well as one expects or hopes for. But I told myself, don’t waste any opportunity or encounter. 
     Who knows what’s next and that’s the beauty of life-unknown!!!

"I asked the boy beneath the pines
 He said, 'The Master's gone alone
 Herb-gathering somewhere on the mount
 Cloud-hidden
 Whereabouts unknown"
-Chia Tao (771-841)



No comments:

Post a Comment