Friday, September 7, 2012

What Matters


     Yesterday, Boy G came to see me with his mother; Boy G is a five years old kid who just came back from a visit to Europe. Shyly with an open smile, the young boy gave me a piece of paper with colored Mickey Mouse on it. At the bottom of the paper it said: To Mrs Mei, from Boy G. One could tell from the hand writing the message came from a young child who just starts schooling at an early age.
     Receiving the paper, my eyes were wet and my heart was full. Later, the mother told me there is another gift for me but it’s not done yet. I like surprise I said. What a lovely evening the family brought in to the public library. The public library is a place for the public to access resources, to self-educate, and to socialize. The human touch is priceless.
     Without leaving home, a person is able to reach out to the world through assistance of telephone, cell phone, and internet service. The availability of downloadable media allows patrons to read e-books, listen to music, and to watch DVDs at home without a visit to a real library. Will the library be in danger of extinction? Personally, I doubt. Beautiful pictures might be able to catch the pretty landscapes and the awesome horizon. But, will pictures let you smell the fresh air of the august mountains, touch the stingy cold water from a running creek in the high mountain, hear the howling of a high wind at the top of the mountain, or feel the daunting height of a mountain? A person has to “be there” to actually understand what it means magnificence. Be there, present, and personal.
     People like to visit their library for many reasons. For one, the public library is the few place visitors will automatically lower their voices as they walk in the building. The joy of engrossing oneself at a quiet place invites people to come, sit, and read. People like to talk to the staff about things happened in their lives. In return, the library staff respects their patrons and serves their best to meet users’ needs. We love our library.
     The books this gentleman was checking out pique my curiosity. Later I learned he is a retired chef who owned a shop of his own. Asked what his specialty is he said chocolate. Now, breads? Yes. Our conversation went on and on, from bread to philosophy of simplicity. After learning how kind of bread I like he told me he would bring breads for me to sample when he makes some. “I would like to” I said. One can never know what comes next…
     It was 15 minutes before closing hour. The mother and daughter need a book. Since it’s a book from the classic reading list, I asked if the book was for school book report. Yes. “Is there any urgency for you to have the book?” “Yes, I have to have the book by next Monday.” Some copies are available but one has to go to the Central. “No” they said, “we will go to the Half Price to see if we can buy one. Thank you.” They left the information counter. But they needed the book, I told myself. I was not satisfied. Then an idea came up. Our library system has downloadable media. And there it is. The pair was still in the library. After making sure they have a computer and internet access at home, I told them what option they might have. “No need of an e reader. There is also a PDF file version for a person to download and read the book on computer” I told them. So I requested a book to be delivered to our branch. While they wait for the book, they can read it at home through either computer or Kindle Fire (the daughter told me she owns one). Never give up too soon even when others are fine with the answers. Later I shared this interaction with my colleagues. They are awed at “Always available” status of the book. My guess is because it’s an old book and the copyright might be expired.
     I wouldn’t be satisfied with answers that didn’t meet patrons’ needs, not after I exhausted the possible routes, methods, or tactics. Whenever there is a challenge or a problem a patrons poses, I would become excited and thrilled. Never wastes an opportunity.   
    The best service comes from who I am. At least I believe so.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment