Monday, September 17, 2012

No Title? No Author? No Problem!


Do you ever go through the following experience? You are looking for something and the name of the thing is dancing on your tongue refusing to come out. Well, it happens too often to be seriously considered a problem or a situation. This day I got a case from a lady who came to me with a shy smile.
     At first, she emphasized how much her son enjoyed reading the book and would like to check it out again. Further on, she thanked me for the introduction of the readers’ collection to her from the beginning as she came to our library. The problem is, looked at me with the same shy smile she didn’t recall either the title or the author. At hearing this, my back became straighter and I got excited. No title? No author? No problem! I assured her. What did you remember? From this question, one after another, back and forth, I conducted the reference interview and busied myself at browsing, searching, and typing. When all failed, I stood up and invited her to follow me to the readers’ place. The only thing I got from the conversation was what the cover would look like: there are two creatures, one giraffe and a turtle and they were in a car.
     Guess what’s my tactics to find this special book that this lady’s son enjoyed so much? The stupidest way I should say-to search each and every book on the shelves by focusing on and looking at the book covers. Luck was with us that day. When I pushed away the book and saw the book after that my heart skipped a beat. “You are the luckiest person of the day, ma’am.” She looked up at me as I slowly turned the book at hand having the cover face her. Right away, she said yes then used her right hand to cover her mouth mumbling “you found it.” The excitement was contagious. She fell back sitting on the floor and I did the same to recover from the joy and exhilaration both of us got from the discovery. What a mission!
     No title? No author? No problem! Challenges and problems are opportunities and regimens of my improvement factors being a librarian. Whenever there was a situation like this, the excitement would pump right in my veins and my brain would be working at full throttle. In addition, this is also a reward I could possibly earn from fixing a problem.
     No title? No author? No problem. Try me!!!


2 comments:

  1. You never give up hope and that's what makes you stand out from others ... two thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chinese symbol of crisis is composed of two characters meaning "danger" and "opportunity." Whenever there is a request, it's an opportunity open for a person to exercise her capability of creativity and imagination. Thinking and pondering invite opportunities to have ideas become reality. Never waste an opportunity. At least, it's what I believe.
      Thank you, David for your comment and encouragement.
      Mei-Wan

      Delete