Friday, September 28, 2012

What’s Your Name?


“It’s been a while I didn't see you.”
“How are you?”
The nice lady smiled as she was approaching to the information desk. Though I didn’t know her name, the question implied she recognized me. I did know she is one of our regulars.
“What kind of hunger” I mumbled and asked her as I typed in the title: The Hunger Fix. After filled her request and returned her library card, I asked her: do you know the subtitle of the book I just requested for you? A head shake meant no. 
“The Three-Stage of Detox and Recovery of Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction” 
"Ha ha ha"
Wow…
"I learned about this book last night from a radio talk show. I got curious about the book." From that we began our conversation. We talked about food, body shape, fitness, Taiwan, and tea.
 Tea! 
“Are you a tea person?”
“Yes”
“I know you didn’t come to my tea program.”
“When?”
“This past March. Could you wait for me? I will give you some tea bags to take home to sample.”
“Ok.”
“These 2 are jasmine green tea, these 2 are green tea, and these 2 are oolong team,” 
I named the tea bags as I placed them on her palm. 
“They are locally available; one can purchase from the local Chinese grocery stores. Are you familiar with Plano city?” 
“Yes.” 
With help of a tiny piece of paper and a short pencil I drew a simple map with direction, street names, and store names on it. The conversation went on as I walked her to the front door. 
“There is a special activity tomorrow in Plano” I explained with my finger pointed to the flyer I hung early today for the public to know about the special event celebrating the Mid Autumn Festival.
 “What’s your name?” 
"Mei-Wan” 
“My name is Lady D.”
 “Nice to meet you.”
Then she told me about herself and what happened this summer. With my left hand on her right shoulder, I invited her to come to my programs.
 “The public library is a social platform for the public to meet each other, to make new friends, and to simply enjoy oneself” 
I explained the reasons why there are always food and tea services at each of my program. Relaxed and comfortable, people would be at ease and savoring goodies and tea invite friendly chitchats. People have a place to be heard, listened to, and talk to.
 “It’s windy; looks like it’s going to rain. Take care, look forward to seeing you.” 
Then I tapped her shoulder again as if placing a hug on her. 
“Bye”
            It’s a good way to say goodbye of the day, don’t you agree?



No comments:

Post a Comment