Saturday, September 15, 2012

We Are Not Communicating


     Do you know how it feels when someone steps on your known Achilles’ heel? Being a first generation immigrant, the barrier of language stays with me even when I have earned two degrees over the years. The joy and honor of working in the public library are the primary forces backing me up and keeping me forward. But no matter how hard I have tried to overcome my barrier or to accept the fact that no one is perfect I would feel personally invaded when certain customers accused me of bad communication. Today I got a case making me feel sad.
     This person came to me asking me to request a specific title for her. She explained the situation: she has the book but the CD ROM is damaged. She would like to have another book with a good CD. After checking the catalog, I told her the bad news: there is only ONE copy in our whole system and she is the one who currently has it checked out. She insisted to request another one from our system. I tried hard to explain my discovery with help of my index finger to emphasize the number ONE and suggest looking up at the interlibrary loan possibility. She told me she totally couldn’t understand what I was telling her and said “We are not communicating.” She refused to listen to me. So, I stood up and told her I will get my manager to assist her.
     Be honest, I did feel bad as I walked to the back to fetch my boss. The negative force was so overwhelming my boss had to raise her voice to calm me down. Did I stop right then helping this lady? No. I went back to my desk and went on my search for the book with CD ROM. There was one in Plano Public Library and, too bad, it was checked out and would be due back on October 1. The Worldcat showed there are more than seven libraries statewide own the same title. As I looked at the screen, I hoped the lady would come back to the desk so I could show her what I found. Later I learned my boss called Plano Public Library. I would have done the same for her if she had given me the opportunity. If only she has given me the chance…
     Walking at my break at the library’s parking lot is my way of relaxing and doing some reflection. As I had my routine walk this afternoon, something I have learned from school came up floating and talking to me as I strode along the curb. Confucius taught us: be independent at the 30’s, be free of confusion at the 40’s, understand the destiny at the 50’s, hear no evil at the 60’s, worry free at the 70’s. Those sayings, to me, serve as reminders and insightful guidelines. If life is a series of lessons, then those statements are goals for us to meet and reach at different age periods. I felt bad for the lady. The year on the birthday was 1932.
     Life, to me, is a school. There are plenty of lessons awaited for us to learn, to excel, to enjoy. Each and every encounter is a lesson, an opportunity for one to become a better person. If we accept the fact that no one is perfect what should we do about ourselves? Do we stop living, growing or learning? No. Do you know what’s the good news being a person who is always number two? There is always a target for you to beat: the number one.
     Did you have an unpleasant encounter today with someone? If you did, thank that person. S/he gave you a lesson of forgiveness. Only when you are able to forgive a person of her wrongdoing would you come to understand humanity and the beauty of calmness inside one’s body, mind, and soul. You let go of the negative energy, you forget the episode, and you move forward.

1 comment:

  1. Patience is a virtue most patrons don't have ... you're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete