Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Big Family


            “Thirty-three years? No kidding!” I was in awe and surprised to hear the number of years the bartender has been at the job working for the same employer. It’s an amazing number.
            It’s a wonderful event I was invited to the very first time. There were plenty of people, most of them were strangers to me, walking, standing, sitting, savoring, drinking; some of them by themselves, some were chatting in one on one style, some were having conversations in groups. Everyone was busy doing the things typically found at a night event or a party: chatting and enjoying themselves. After surveying the floor, I went to the bartender to ask where I could find a trash can. Then the variety of beverages caught my attention piquing my curiosity. “How could you remember all these stuff?” “It’s easy.” “Wow.” Then he told me the amazing number telling me he has been with this wonderful employer for that long. I was thinking there must be something good and interesting enough to keep a person that long serving and loyal to his company, to where he makes his living.
            “Thank you. You did a wonderful job providing such a good service.” “You are welcome.” I complimented the lady in professional uniform who served our table. The second time she refilled my glass I turned, looked at her, said ‘thank you,’ and asked for her name. “Eva?” “Yes, and what’s yours?” “ Mei-Wan, Mei-Wan is my name.” “Nice to see you.” “Eva, you did a wonderful job and excellent service. How long have you been working here?” “Thirty-two years.” Another ‘Wow’ from me. This Hyatt must treat their employees right and well for they are able to keep their excellent employees to provide the best services. It’s not just the numbers, though the numbers themselves are amazing; it’s the genuine smile and positive attitude from their employees impressed me the most. I wonder what their secret regimen for success is. This is the first thing I felt good about this special event.
            Another thing made this event a special night for me was the people I ran into. Carol gave me a smile as our eyes met the first time with people between us; we never saw each other before. Then we smiled to each other the second time we ran into and saw each other. Minutes later, as I assessed the crowd, I spotted her standing alone with no one near by her. Straight ahead, I went to her, introduced myself, and what happened next just came as naturally as if two old friends reunited after years’ separation. We talked about public library, the importance of sponsorship and groups of friends, reading, and books. She asked for my name and I did the same for hers. As we were waiting for the vehicles to come at the front of the hotel, I went to her and gave her a hug thanking her for the good time I shared with her. At a party crowded and packed with strangers, meeting someone like Carol is a wonderful experience that I won’t forget. The warmth and friendly talking with her feel like I was spotting and staying at an oasis in the desert. What a wonderful night!
            The gentleman named Chris was another person I had a warm and friendly conversation with. The way we conversed told me he must be a successful broker for he knew how to approach a person the right way: unthreatening, friendly, receptive as well as responsive. A good salesperson is a people’s person; he is charming and disarming at the same time. I felt I have learned something from him by talking to him tonight. People are amazing if they are open, friendly, and comfortable, not only with the people they contact with but with themselves as well. Characteristics plays a critical factor in a person’s happiness and success.
            Tonight, everything was nice: the temperature was right, not too cold not too hot; the food was healthy and delicious including the red wine, the chocolate cake, and the coffee Eva served, and the people, acquaintances as well as total strangers. If I have to pick the thing impressed me the most I would say it’s the people I met, ran into, talked to, listened to, and observed.
It’s a big family I spent the night with. When everyone plays their role and plays it well, it’s the best movie I have ever watched, a movie titled “Life.”
           



No comments:

Post a Comment