Saturday, October 27, 2012

Harmony


 It almost felt like there was a competition going on in the library this morning as the two of us, Lynette, my branch manager, and I, each took a truck of nonfiction items out to shelve. In and out the aisles, I could have a glimpse of Lynette carrying books back and forth to her base, the new black truck the Friends of the library purchased for the branch not too long ago. Then, I spotted something that had my eyes bulge and my heart tremble with surprise and excitement. Really? Were my eyes playing some trick on me; it’s too early for a trick or treat day. To make sure my eyes were still working fine I went back to my cubicle to get my handy camera and off I went on my mission: to catch Lynette doing the same thing that distracted me and warmed my heart.
            I could understand how hard it would be to become a private detective or a clandestine spy for the waiting was really not that fun; I was like a fool waiting for Lynette to do the same thing. I crouched down at the other end of aisle, camera high and ready to catch the best act of Lynette. Yet, Lynette was better than anyone I knew for the moment she spotted me she backed off and disappeared leaving me in awe with my mouth open, whining and complaining. Later she posed for me as she was tired of my complaining.
            The reason for me to stubbornly take picture of Lynette holding books as if she was doing some arms and shoulders exercise was very obviously. A person would become more creative and imaginative if one truly loves her job and enjoys the tasks at hand. The term “One stone two birds” is one of my favorite mottos encouraging me to do things more effectively and efficiently. Working in the public library, one that is always busy and demanding, a person has the precious opportunity to exercise physically, mentally, and spiritually. There are many maneuvers and operations involving movements of hands, arms, shoulders, knees, legs, and feet. If somehow we could do the job well and, at the same time, have our muscles, joints, and ligaments properly toned and stretched, then we don’t have to go to gym to further tire our bodies.
            Working smart allows us to keep in good shape and have our brain exercise on a daily basis. The efficiency of checking in items starts from emptying the chute reserved for overnight book drops. Not to ignore the smallest detail saves us time, energy, and effort. The picture of my coworkers working at the same time, at different tasks, at different areas usually made my day. It’s harmony installed in the library. If everyone knows his/her own role and plays it well, it’s like the work of the Nature: the Sun and the Moon take turns to shine; water flows, wind blows, and creatures roam the earth in the immense of the air. It’s harmony at work.
            Working together with Lynette this morning was an honor and a reminder telling me a silent voice could be as strong as a loud alarm chirping in the early morning hour; it could wake up a desire to make a difference, a wish to come true, or a hope to become someone one admires and respects. How does the Creator supervise and manage the world, the place called Earth? There are, of course, natural rules at work; just like there are policies, regulations, and rules designated for the workplace. Still, there is one thing called “free will” allows us, the human beings, to be creative, curious, and imaginative.
            At work, Lynette manages well; she allows harmony to be sung by each person’s free will. You are the person responsible and accountable for who you are, what you are, and how you do to make effort and contribute to the team you work for. To be balanced is the key factor for the harmony to be circulating not only in the air but also to be flowing in everyone’s hands, head, and heart.
The sight of Lynette holding books high above her shoulders made my day and touched my heart. I am not alone.

2 comments:

  1. When you describe the process of working as natural harmony it is a much more calming image than the one I sometimes have in mind, which is: working as strategic warfare. The back chute is "attacked"; the tubs are "knocked out", the library is subject to "sweeps", and so on. I definitely prefer your approach! I had never really thought about it in that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like your approach; it's really like a battle at work on a daily basis. It depends upon which day we talk about. Being busy is a blessing; the day goes way faster and there is no time to think otherwise. Harmony is at work when one's mind is calm and one's physical body is working hard to task the goals. Thanks for your kind comment.
      Mei-Wan

      Delete