Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's You!


            Two days in a row there were four people working at the branch. The schedule couldn’t catch up with the dynamics and changes happened in the library. Experienced soldiers that we have become we have learned how to be flexible to deal with the different situations. Thanks to this flexibility, I came to meet her again, a mother of two boys, while I was manning the circulation desk this afternoon.
            It’s the book she would like to renew that caught my attention and reminded me of what happened the week before. It’s a computer book about Android application. Moved away from the book I looked up at the lady’s familiar face. "It’s you! How’s your boy? He is nine years old, am I right?” “Yes, he is doing fine. He would like to keep the book for he didn’t finish it yet.” “Ok, let’s renew it first.” From the book we talked about apps, her boy, computer, local network, etc. Then I remember the book on my desk. “Wait.” “Ok.”
           The book on my desk is titled Android Development for Dummies. The day after serving the mother and boy, I kept on searching books for them though they didn’t ask me to. The reason for me to do so was that I wasn’t satisfied with what I found that day. After browsing and searching, I placed my request for app book published this book for I was feeling that a new release book on apps would benefit the young boy. Fortunately, she came to the circulation desk at my scheduled hour. From talking the book, the mother and I kept on talking other books that I felt might give her ideas about the trend and future of high tech. After a brief book description she would like me to request the book I read and recommended. Then, as usual, I walked her to the doors and went on some more talking at the front of the library. The weather was inviting, a typical tame and cool autumn afternoon. We exchanged names and said our goodbyes.
            Why did I do such thing? The patrons didn’t ask for a request yet I did it anyway. The reason is I felt the need to further assist them. It surprised me that at the age of 9 the young boy already shows his talent and interest at the high tech when his peers might be watching TV or playing games or other kids’ stuff. Who knows what he is able to do with this kind of head and mind. If the public library somehow can provide tools or knowledge to boost up and inspire the young mind and heart why not just do extra more to see if our services, collections, or equipments could be of help to him. Why not?
            Another call from heaven this afternoon at work! Great things came to me at my down time and it took place again at the information desk. The two books are called “Blade Runners.” More than often, as I fed the search engine, there was more than one author with the same title shown on my screen. So I turned my monitor and highlighted the titles for the lady in front of me to tell me which one to place a request. Confirmed the author, I asked for her card and finished the request procedures. As she gathered her possessions and placed them into her purse she asked me about Kindle Fire. “We have ebooks.” “Really?” “Yes, and here is the instruction.” I then highlighted the two important things for her to pay special attention for downloading ebooks.
            “I like to read a real book and I also like the smell of books.” I told her I am old schooled. She is a writer, she told me. I left my desk and walked her to the door to go on our talking about books. As I turned my back and walked toward the library peace was with me for I just had a wonderful conversation with a nice lady. The feeling was great as if the heaven is open and close for me to have the wonderful experience. Another nice interaction with my patron, it seemed like I had a call and a visit from heaven.
            The mind is like the earthly landscapes: up and down, wide and narrow, clear and murky, as colorful as a rainbow, as dark as the pitch black night, you name it. Unless one is made of iron and steel and as dry as a drought, once in a while, a situation, an event, or even a person could provoke some emotions and make one wonder what a hell might look like or how should a person respond or react to an overwhelming condition. There must be a boiler inside me for I feel fueled sometimes under certain circumstances. At the same time, there has to be a freezer somewhere in me for I feel so cold encountering something, someone, or some places. Conflict, isn’t it? Life is a mix of spices and made up with heat and ice. Sometimes I simply didn’t get it. Why? The answers seem to be asleep somewhere inside my mind. Or, I might ask the wrong questions. Who knows?
            Thanks to my patrons, everyday is a new day, a fresh new start for me to follow, to experience. Who said the library is quiet? Well, it might be quiet, but definitely not boring. It’s a busy place. It plays an episode titled “Life.”           
            

No comments:

Post a Comment