Saturday, October 13, 2012

Let the Ideas Fly


`           
 Many great things happened today at my branch though there were only 4 of us working yesterday and today. Today’s Abby’s birthday; the air seemed to become lighter as I walked in the building. Across the hallway I saw Jennifer hand Abby a present telling her happy birthday. Jennifer was a considerate person for she was the one went shopping for Abby’s card after she left work yesterday. Thank you, Jennifer.
            As I watched Abby busy talking to and walking with this lady at the children’s area my eyes simply wouldn’t leave her or take away from her and her patron. “Great job, Abby” I softly told myself as I turned back to the staff area and kept on what I had been doing this Saturday morning. Later as I sat at the information desk I turned my chair facing Abby and told her she did a great job helping the lady. “It’s been a long while ago I have this feeling.” Abby shared with me how she felt with a slow yet bright smile of her own, Abby’s style. “It felt good as we are able to spend time and make effort helping a patron.” I felt my feeling concurring with her opinion. “It’s your gift, Abby. It’s a start.”
            Then it was my turn to have my moment serving a patron. “What can I do for you, sir? I approach the gentleman with a note at his hand. “I need to find those books on the list.” “Can I take a look at the list?” Then “What grade is your child at?” “3rd” From then on I automatically conducted a reference interview though the boy wasn’t with him today. “I have to know about your boy. For instance, can you tell me what interests him? This is my way to get familiar with your boy and to better serve his need.” The more I got to know about the boy the more I felt I need to talk to the boy. But, let’s start what we had today I reminded myself. The following hour I talked to the father and asked him questions to find a way to efficiently and effectively help the boy. The thing I didn’t tell him was I skipped my lunch hour and had to work at the information desk two hours straight.
            But lunch could wait; I hate to do things half done. In and out, on and off, I tried my best to put my ideas of helping this boy into a plan with action followed, into reality that might motivate the boy to love reading. “I am a crazy librarian” I shook my head telling Jennifer as I was waiting for the printer to work on my feeds. “You are” with a warm smile. Thank you, Jennifer.
Meanwhile I still served other patrons as I helped the father. As I lay out everything on the table including a cup of animal crackers, I repeated the plot and plan for the father and the boy. I said: this is the motivation I talked about and wait for. Let’s take the opportunity to hook your boy up to read. If this plan is approved by his teacher and goes as well as I expect your boy is going to impress his classmates. And this experience might turn around his mind-set. Mindset is everything. Once it is turned everything becomes easy and simple.
“Yes ma’am.”
            After I saw the father check out books and leave the library, I rushed back to the kitchen with Jennifer jogging behind me: we had something important to perform. Both of us stole a minute to the staff room to sing Happy Birthday to Abby. She is the lady of the day. Then, out of urge, I asked Abby a favor: can I give you a hug? “Sure” Abby stood up and gave me a warm big hug. That made my day. Left behind the excitement, joy, and the delicious chocolate cake Mike purchased for Abby Jennifer and I rushed back to the front as if two girls just sneaked out their room toward an unknown yet exciting adventure land. What a day I ran and sighed with delight. Public library could be as fun as a Discovery Zone.
            “Mei-Wan, what do you think if I replace the Star War books with fiction about other world or vampires on the display table to celebrate the coming Halloween?” “That’s a great idea.” After all books occupied the book stands I asked Jennifer to stand by the table so I could take pictures of her with her excellent idea. Then I emailed a short note with the two pictures I took to every staff. I felt good for Jennifer: it’s probably her first book display. Go, Jennifer!
            I noticed Abby hummed and sang a lot recently, softly with delight. She looks beautiful with her midnight blue outfit today. I told her so. Her eyes are large radiating femininity, warmth, and confidence. Her smile, though slowly to form, is genuine and friendly. This is Abby I know would be and be and will be.
            “Can you…” I didn’t finish my sentence talking to Jennifer for I saw something not too far away behind her. The sight of what happened cut me off, surprised me, and got me wonder and, WOW. Today we had 4 busy working bees in and out of the lobby working with each other as if a great team at its optimal capacity. We are number 4 today!
            Later I found myself having an unexpected conversation 10 minutes before we closed. The talk caught me off guard: I didn’t expect it to happen today yet it did. The more we talked, the more I looked at the face I was talking to my inside shivered with appreciation, joy, and hope. Is it possible? Is it happening? I truly didn’t know. But I wish the fairy lady would come by again showing us the right way to communicate, to exchange feelings and hearts, and to make greatness happened not only at the workplace, but at everyone’s home and each one’s life.
            Hey, I want you to be my supporter, mutual supporter.
Invite Mei-Wan to be your ally!



            

No comments:

Post a Comment