Monday, October 8, 2012

What Does Reading Mean to You?


            Do you like to read? I do though not from a young age. The sight and hold of the damaged book ready to be sent to the furnace one evening is one of my strongest memories in my childhood. The binding was pretty bad: almost every page was falling off from the spine. But the stories were so fascinating I totally forgot my duty in the tiny kitchen and indulged myself in historic events, stories, characters, and names. It’s a book packed with stories about people with great renown. I was still pretty young but able to read the words. Plenty of names were strangers to me for I didn’t learn about the history yet. But that evening I learned about battles taken place at Sun Tzu’s era. The book was not ours; it was probably from my aunt who was a school teacher back then.
            Do you have a habit of reading? Do you have the urge or drive to read everyday or to read something before bedtime to call it a day? There is this saying about reading for the educated: a person would have a repulsive look as one skips reading that day. Looking around the people around me I found those close to me all has something in common: reading is part of their life.
            Rick is my brother who reads constantly. Upon each visit back home, I would go to Rick’s bedroom and surf his bookshelves. Most of the books are cookbooks for he enjoys cooking and is a chef doing catering as his part time job. In addition to cookery, Rick reads books about history, spirituality, meditation, and self help. As generous as a brother could be, Rick usually gave me books to take home: a nice welcome home gift. But do not picture Rick a nerd for he likes Michael Jackson’s music. Rick takes good care of himself; he looks like a DM model for he eats smart with right foods, and exercises regularly
            Mily and Bryan read fervently books about spirituality, meditation, and classic Chinese literature. Not only do they read a lot they also give lessons to members of their belief group every week; they are called instructors. Mily is pretty good at giving lectures. Her voice is very beautiful and full of authenticity. Mily is my best friend and I consider her to be my guide. Whenever I ran into dilemma or faced obstacles she was always the first person I would ask for help.
            As I get older I came to understand that no matter how many friends a person owns loneliness is like shadow following a person without permission. The strongest sense of loneliness I would be feeling came from attending parties. Commotion and noises from people acquainted as well as total strangers seemed to deepen and amplify the level of my loneliness. Learned from past experiences I would carry a book in my purse or my pants’ pocket when I knew I was going to some place packed with people and activities. Books are my best friends.
            In addition to books, I read trees, wind, the sun and the moon, the sky, car plates, anything handy in front of me. Looking at trees and their leaves, I read cycles of changes. Sun Tzu, sage and author of the great book “The Art of War” read Nature and was inspired by what he observed. I used to play games with my boys on trips by reading car plates. “What BLD stands for?” “bold” “building” “Boy Larry Bird” etc. Anything came with the letters would do and we would laugh together when something funny came out by the combination of the three alphabets. One thing I couldn’t read well is to read people. It’s my blind spot and weakness I have to conquer, to beat.
            I read titles sometimes when helping patrons place a request, or check out books. The gentleman was checking out two books about making breads. As he was busy locating his library card, I asked him questions about cooking. He was a retired chef; he used to own a shop of his own. His specialty was chocolate. From chocolate we talked and talked. He asked me what kind of bread I enjoy the most. “Stone bread” I said. Then we found ourselves talking about philosophy of life: simplicity is the best way to live. To live simple is not easy yet the best way to have a good living; it the same making bread. The hardest kind of bread to make is the simple bread without any flavor added. The greatness of the simple bread is made by a crafted chef with a caring heart and soul.
            He said he would make some bread for me to sample; he even asked me what size I would like the most. With help of hand gestures, we came to some agreement about the bread he was going to make. This told me he is a caring person and he is serious about what he does. As usual, I wouldn't expect to sample any bread. But I totally enjoyed the conversation I had with this gentleman; it’s a gift and my reward serving a patron.
            What does reading mean to you? Do you have ready answers when asked:
Who are you and what do you want?
Where are you and why are you there?
What will you do and how will you do it?
Who are your allies and how can they help?
            READ


Reference:
The four questions quoted from the book:
Who are you? What do you want:
By
Ulkeja, Mick
646.7 U34W
2009


No comments:

Post a Comment