Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hey! Don’t Make Me Run


            Had I known I got to chase a lady today I would have had my sneakers on or, better put on a pair of wings on my shoulders. The running itself was not too bad; the weather was so inviting and plenty of people witnessed and might enjoy the scene of a crazy Asian woman running as if her pants were on fire. The line of people waiting for voting was the primary reason I didn't yell to the back of the lady I was chasing. Luck must have been with me today for I was able to catch up with this nice lady before she got into her car. What made I leave my post and run like crazy in front of the public at the parking lot? A caring soul…
            Tuesday is the busiest day of the week; we close on Sundays and Mondays. Today was no exception. The fact that this branch is one of the early voting locations might be the reason for the increase of issuing new library cards. The lady in front of the information counter was asking some resourceful books for her high school child. Chemistry was one of the subjects I failed to succeed as a student. As I typed and fed the catalog to do searches my heart was with that young girl whose project report would be due soon. At a glimpse in between typing and searching I spotted another lady standing and waiting patiently beside the mother I was assisting. Back and forth the conversation went on between me and my patron. Then the lady interrupted. “Sorry, just a quick interrupt. I just want to say ‘Hi’ to you.” After the “bomb drop” the lady left with me sitting there stunned like a fool. Wait, what just happened?
            “Anything else?” I asked the mother but my eyes were on the lady walking outside toward the immense parking lot. “Thank you.” Run, I took off after the lady. The sound made from my necklace hitting my name tag didn’t stop me though it sounded as if a dog merrily chasing a cat or something. “Hey! Don’t make me run like this.” I smiled at the lady who turned her back facing me at hearing me. “Oh, I just want to say ‘Hi’ to you before I leave the library.” “How nice of you thinking of me. Let me give you a hug, at least.” Then I hugged her at the pavement. My head was still on her shoulder as I asked “Are you a tea person?” “What?” “Do you drink tea?” “Yes.” Great! “If you are not in a hurry would you wait here for me; I have some tea bags for you to take home.” “Ok.”
            “All these for me?” “Yes, please take home, savor, and let me know which flavor you like the most. Ok?” “Ok. Thank you.” This nice lady didn’t know how precious and valuable gift she just gave me today comparing to the humble tea bags she took home from me. The stunning sensation and heart touching surprise from her stopping by at the information desk stayed with me the whole day, even right now as I recall what’s happened today at work. A caring soul with a kind heart just came to me today as I was occupied by tasks. Off guard, her words swept me, intruded themselves into the core of my heart, my mind, and my head. Without second thought, I ran after her afraid she might vanish in the wind. Would you run if you were me? Chase in the wind?
            I felt like I was running after happiness, a dream, and a hope. Happiness comes as the recognition of a giving, caring heart is discovered. She is definitely a giver; she spent time waiting in the line just wanting to say ‘Hi’ to me, the librarian. A giver, what else? A dream for I have been dreaming living in a world decorated with caring people who care each other with their hearts. She is a person with a caring soul. A hope that what I have faith in does matter and the work I have been doing would really create values for other people and touch people’s lives. She, as a patron, responded to me with kindness and a friendly gesture.
            Though the running caused my upper torso’s muscles cramping badly for minutes, the feeling of happiness cheered me up. The whole episode was great except one thing: I didn’t know the lady’s name. She might introduce herself telling me her first name the other time. Jennifer gave me a funny face as I told her.
            Well, that gave me an idea. A best friend told me I am full of beans. Beans? Let’s see if one of my beans would work and do the trick for me to remember names. Let’s see.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment