Friday, October 5, 2012

She Reads My Mind!



           Abby must not be human being today. She reads my mind as if she is an angel God sent today to deliver the message and sign I have been waiting for a long, long time.
Recently I found myself in smog of doubt about who I am, what I can do, how to do it, where to go, questions no one could easily answer for me. As troubled as I was, all I could think of going through the days was to focus on tasks and meet daily goals I set for myself. At nights, I kept awake listening to the clicking of the alarm sitting on the sink in the bathroom. The pitch darkness, the only company I had, taunted me into fitful sleep. I wondered, I pondered, I doubted…
“You could say Mei-Wan is good.” Jennifer laughed out loud hearing what I just said to Abby as she looked up at me from where she was shelving. Abby reads the most among us and this becomes her leverage. “You are good. But I am better” said Abby as I affectionately embraced her shoulder touching her soft, long hair. God, how I enjoy and love such moment as the three of us camped at the 650’s area talking and teasing each other. The air seemed to overflowing with love, joy, pride, with feminine fragrance. At that moment I was so touched by the power of teamwork. I left them there but my heart stayed with them.
When I finished shelving the children’s truck, I stood behind the door leading to the lobby watching Abby. I tried to catch her at action with my camera. But my hands were shaking with excitement I was afraid I might ruin the effort taking pictures of her. Who would understand how one must be feeling as one stood behind a door gratefully enjoying the sight of a delicate woman working as a working bee. It’s not my first time doing so. Due back when I was a page, I did the same thing: watching a peer to reinforce my belief in the workplace, a place called public library. I have to feel and see other’s commitment to keep mine intact and reserved. I have to know I am not alone. I might feel lonely but I have the need and hope that I am not alone at loving this workplace, enjoying the people and the place, and serving the purpose of the public library.
My previous manager scolded me once as she saw me touching Abby’s hair. Abby said that it’s fine. So I didn’t stop doing so. I like to touch Abby’s long, soft hair. Each time as I caressed her hair, the softness and delicateness remind me of an innocent baby. Today not only did I enjoy touching her hair I also had a glimpse of her womanly smile as we teased each other at the aisle. The bright red lipstick she had on couldn’t compete with her genuine smile this afternoon. She is a beauty in my eye.
The four questions this book proposed helped me to focus and know where to find the answers. They are:
Who you are and what do you want?
Where are you and why are you there?
What will you do and how will you do it?
Who are your allies and how can they help?
From the beginning the book stated: your journey begins with a destination. I figure the destination is success done by a great teamwork; this is what I have dreamed of.
            Today I strongly felt the magic of teamwork, thanks to Abby and Jennifer. Only when one helps oneself then God would send heavenly help. One is too small a number to create greatness. It’s like it would take two coins to make a sound, take two hands to applaud making clapping sound. Applause and praise come from, at least, two people to make it really authentic.
            Abby, I thank you.


2 comments:

  1. The best thing to do at work is to make your workplace more like a playground ... and with the help of Abby and Jennifer I have no doubt it can be achieved easily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby looks younger than her real age and her long hair compliments her looks even more. This week I strongly felt Abby's change. Not only does she look young she is indeed younger, healthy, and lives to her fullest at work. If one feels great at work one will at home too, and vice versa. You are right. Thanks to Jennifer and Abby, everyday at work is happy hour to me.
      mei-wan

      Delete