Tuesday, October 23, 2012

American Dreams, My Goals…


            Not as fluent as the native’s, my language skills are exercised at work daily to serve the public. The very first time I was rejected to answer a phone call, though the denial and rejection hit me hard sabotaging my ego, served as a wake-up call forcing me to face not only the language barrier but also to ponder on and reflect the real cause of the issue-ego, or should I say self-questioning. That period of time I asked myself questions. Thanks to the guidelines etched in my mind I eventually walked out the maze of self-doubt and set my feet back to the path toward the promising future. If I was able to fly over the immense Pacific Ocean at a very young age with a broken language then why should I be intimidated by a trivial encounter with someone who might not travel far away from homeland? “To serve the public” is my principal guideline ahead of anything else. If, somehow, I am able to follow through this principle then nothing should defeat me or take away my passion, enthusiasm, and determination, my fuel and energy to be a good librarian. It’s my goal, personally as well as professionally.
            Far away, I spotted Eric, one of my regulars whom I haven’t seen for a while. As usual, the first thing I felt and sensed from him is his vigorous Eric-style confidence decorated with a gentleman’s smile; you wouldn’t miss him in a crowd. Pleasantries exchanged, he told me he is going to relocate to Denver for he got an offer. “So soon?” The good news surprised me for Eric just graduated from school and passed CPA exam not long ago. Humbly and matter-of-factly, he briefly described what and how things took place in his life in the past two months. After I had a short conversation with Eric’s whole family, I left the children’s area with his new address and info on my name card. Amazing…I just experienced and witnessed another successful American dream came true. “American dreams start @ your public library” was echoing and following me today as the day went by. Even though it’s his family who has used the branch the most, one couldn’t deny and ignore the role the public library has played in his life and life of his wife’s and children’s. Jennifer silently whistled as I briefed her Eric’s debut of a new career and plan of relocation. It’s a cheer-up both of us need at work. The message is clear: the public library matters in a person’s life.
            Do you know how cute and innocent looking a mature woman would look like when she was fully engrossed herself at sorting books sitting on the floor with her shoes off? Though her feet and legs were not intertwined as those of meditators they reminded me of a lotus seating style. That’s Abby at work. All I could make of her was her shiny long hair as I looked down from where I stood. In order to conveniently and further our conversation I sat down and watched her through the tunnel/hole made of layers of a steel truck. Imagine that picture: it’s as if two girls were playing hide and seek as I bent and straightened my back to go on the talk with Abby while she inspected the titles of books and took time to look up at me. It’s our playground: we work as if we play.
            Today’s power walk was an arduous one for I didn’t have enough sleep last night; my feet were as heavy as if the gravity was playing a prank or a trick on me. The spine and back were not mine; they belonged to an old lady. Then Jennifer pushed the back door and walked toward me as I forcefully walked up the slight slope at the parking lot. “Thank you, Jennifer.” Silently I voiced my gratitude to Jennifer who was walking side by side with me. We picked up the topic we didn’t finish the other day as Jennifer gave me a ride to work. How I want to witness another success, another glory radiate from a person I have been working with for more than five years and a woman I come to like a lot!
            “Do you have a story to tell?”  I am composing my own story by working hard at work, a place I like very much. Compliments from varied patrons and what I have seen in Jennifer tell me she owns plenty of potentials and talents that she, herself, might not have known or pay attention to. As smart as Jennifer, all she needs is for someone to point that out to her with certain degree of recognition and gratitude. I thank Jennifer for what she has done for the group, and for me. A journey won’t be long, hard or lonely for there is someone you trust walking with you. Working with Jennifer allows me to focus on tasks and own a sense of companionship, friendship, and pride of a team work.
            Go American Dreams! Go My Goals, personally as well as professionally!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment