Monday, October 15, 2012

Insulting? Threatening? Or Empowering?


This evening I heard a great story from a friend; it’s a book about running and runners. As usual, my mind was racing with pictures built by words from the other party; there were high mountains, cold winds, unpaved dirt paths made by travelers, runners from different races and tribes, and a air full of competition, strong wills, perseverance, stamina, and, of course, sweats. One scene after another as the story teller had the story playing through the lips and sent to my ears and mind as if reviewing a person’s life by mind exchanges, like those real cases told in the book I am reading about journey of souls. Though I was not one of the brave and strong participants I felt I could collapse right then and there if I had just raced and run 3 miles. I am a number 3!
The story was as long as the long race: more than hundred miles run. But it’s an interesting and inspiring one; just like the daunting and fascinating long run. What impressed me the most was the dry, challenging yet taunting comment from one racer to another runner. As a “reader” I surmised the purpose of that comment was to insult the targeted race in the same run. Guess what? The insulted runner won the race followed by the commenter, and half hour advancement of that second place racer. The champion was empowered by that insulting comment. The comment was like tailored fuel of a turbo fire engine burning on his feet tirelessly and powerfully pushing him forward allowing him to run like a falcon flying in the sky: as free as if the air is under his feet, as powerful as a pair of strong wings vibrating with the flowing air. There was no race at all; all he had was to enjoy the running, allowing his heart to take the lead, and freeing himself in the nature. It’s like that racer was pushed into the bottom of nothing and back jumped as far as he could handle.
In real life, the best catalyst and force of push might come from unexpected comment, event, or even just a word or gesture. I remember when and how I was willing to walk out of my comfort zone and begin my first program run in the library. It’s a conversation I had with my new manager last December; Lynette, the branch manager, was just transferred from another branch that October. She tried to talk me into running an event for the coming Chinese New Year, year of dragon. Afraid of failure and inexperienced, the idea scared me. “If you don’t want to do it, I will.” “No, I will do it.” Right away, after she threatened to take charge of an important event for every Chinese I responded and took the challenge at the hallway. I recall I was standing there thinking as I looked at her face “Are you kidding? No way for you to do a program for me and for my people.” That’s exactly what I was thinking and I was a bit mad with myself. Guess what? That January Saturday’s program was my biggest and successful events of the year, year of dragon, 2012: more than a hundred people came to my program that day. I thank you, Lynette; my pusher and coach.
Of course, when someone says something that’s irritating or upsetting to you it’s normal to feel insulted, threatened, or hurt; it’s your instinct and survival skill at work. Yet, my experiences tell me to think otherwise as I am getting older; or, at least to do some positive thinking. Mind set is everything!
In Chinese character, the word “crisis” is composed of two elements: danger and opportunity. Danger for the situation is direfully critical, perilous and risky. We might be understaffed or/and short of budgets; the situations pushed us and we felt threatened and in danger. But it’s also a valuable and priceless opportunity for us to grow, thrive, and be outstanding with excellence. Why? We have three Hs to guide, lead, and help us: Hands for we have each other, Heads for we become creative and apply workable strategies and tactics to run library more effectively and efficiently, and Hearts for we matter to the public by serving the purpose of public library. We pull our spirits and have them into actions and developments.
Insulting? Threatening? Or empowering? It’s our choice to make things happened; GREAT things!


No comments:

Post a Comment