Friday, October 26, 2012

Warmth in a Cold Day




            Fatigue didn’t vanish from my body even though I had a good night’s sleep. Debating to see if I should call in I woke up shaking my head telling myself No; it’s not an option. In a hurry, I forgot it’s cold outside; I left home, locked the door, and got into my car without a jacket. Cold and tired, I felt the heaviness inside me as I slowly walked the slight slope toward the staff door. Deep breath, I entered my playground.
            “Mei-Wan, Ruby is here looking for you;” Ruby is one of my reading club members. Abby walked in to tell me I had a visitor. Looking at Abby’s happy face with a beautiful smile I got my first sense of warmth today. Abby’s smile stayed on her young looking face as I struggled to get up from the comfy couch. I wondered what the secret would be to form this beautiful yet a bit mysterious smiley face of Abby’s. Though it’s my lunch break I was really excited and looked forward to seeing Ruby.
            The moment I saw what’s inside the shopping bag I was embraced by a sense of warmth, my second dose of the day. Sincerely, Ruby told me the small green guavas and the yellowish persimmons were sent by her mother from California. Considering and treating me as a friend she would like me to take those tasty fruits home. When she heard that guava is my favorite fruit Ruby told me she will share them with me the next time she gets another delivery from her dear mother. Speechless I found myself short of words to go on the conversation. What a sweet treat from a patron whom I enjoy talking to. She is not a patron anymore. She is Ruby, my friend who reminds me of my early days being a newcomer to this dream land. She is going through the similar stages I have had in the past years. The differences between us are Ruby “discovered” the public library some fifteen years earlier than I did and she got someone to talk to, someone who came from the same background facing the similar difficult situations and someone who works in the public library serving the public.
            Almost everyday, there is someone came to the library to issue a library card. The process would take some minutes including asking the person for some personal information. A routine is not a routine anymore for every time it’s another person standing and facing at the other side of counter. I like to take the opportunity to learn about my patrons. Sources of questions came from the documents the person provided; the way the person presented him/herself, what outfit the person had on that day, or even the condition of weather that day. Most of the time I was able to invite the person to introduce him/herself, tell me his/her story and the reasons why s/he comes to this branch. The more questions and answers exchanged, the more I got to understand how important the public library and my job are to those people. It’s a sacred place and services we provide.
            Some patrons refused to access and use the two self checkout machines the library owns. The reasons behind their resistance and stubbornness are simple: they want the library staff to be able to keep their jobs and they enjoy the human touch. Whenever the person at the other side of the service counter told me how much s/he enjoys talking to us, or how good it is to touch and read a real book my heart was full of joy, hope, and gratitude. “I hear you.” I have the same feeling about the public library not only because I am an employee; I am a beneficiary and product of the services of the public library.
            Information and knowledge could come from a variety of resources. With a touch of the screen, a person is able to make connection globally, internationally, and worldly. But, how do you get a touch of heart from a machine? How do you have a hug from clicking mouse with your finger? A person needs human touch to get warmth and a sense of warmth from being touched by heart.
            I had my last dose of warmth from my manager’s visit in the kitchen. Lying on the couch face down I was trying to ease off my back pain and upset tummy. Lynette, my manager, walked in and asked how I was feeling; I didn’t tell her I had a difficult day. As good as a caring manager she knew right away I had something going in as she walked in. She sat down and chatted with me for a short while. Her visit energized me for I was able to get up and finish the day forgetting the pain and discomfort.
            How big is a human touch? How warm is it at receiving a good treat or a good service? Pay your public library a visit today to find out. Your dreams start @ public library!

No comments:

Post a Comment