Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Of Course I Trust You!


            Anxiously, I watched the people walk in and out the library to search the lady in red who is the cardholder of the driver license I had at hand. After updating her library card, she asked me about how to download library ebooks to iPad. She had the written instruction from the branch at hand. Instead of replying her enquiry, I asked her “Do you know your password?” A head shake was her answer. So we had it done first and made sure she knew the numbers: we logged in and typed in all numbers to be sure the numbers are right. “Do you happen to have the iPad with you?” “In the car” “Do you have time?” “Let me go get it.” The lady in red then rushed out the library and I left my seat waiting her in front of the desk.
            “You trust me!” I teased the lady in red waving her photo ID. “Of course I trust you. You are the librarian.” “Right” Taking her to a quiet corner, we sat down and had everything on the table: iPad, library card, written instruction, a pen, and…Wait! “I am thirsty. Can I fix you a cup of tea?” A slow head shake…”Oh, you are a coffee person.” “You go ahead and I wait for you.” So, while she was registering for an Adobe account I rushed back to the staff area and had my hot green tea with me, a cup with a tight lid, of course.
            “You are a pink lady.” She has a pink cover for her iPad and a pink pointer. “Pink is ok. I like purple color.” We chatted while doing the downloading. Allowing her to do everything by giving her oral instructions is my way of service. The experience is real and any mistake made would be remembered and avoided. She told me she went to different places to learn about downloading: Apple store, community college, etc. “This one on one service is rare and good.” She told me how she was feeling as time went by at the corner table. Had the written instruction on the table, I highlighted the most two important areas and wanted her to pay special attention. “First, make sure you choose the right format. In this case, select the Adobe EPUB format. Second, pick the right lending period. One is able to return item early but can’t renew. So it’s wise to select 21 days.” Then, I showed her where to return books early. Writing down my name on the general name card I turned the card and wrote down my blog’s site address telling her there are written instructions as well as videos to watch to learn more about the downloading.
            “I have something to show and share with my reading club friends.” “Practice, practice, and practice then you are an expert.” With help of my fingers I said the three magic words to encourage her to practice the process at home. I want my patrons to feel good about themselves and about what they just did and learned from the library. After she gathered her things I walked her to the door saying our goodbyes. I felt good about this encounter.
            The instruction and practice usually would take less than 10 minutes depending on the speed of Wi Fi. I further told the lady in red to go home read the instruction at least two times: one time literally in words and the second time with assistance of the video. This way a person is well equipped with knowledge of process. “It’s your homework.” I playfully yet sincerely encourage my patrons to practice with care. This way a person won’t easily get frustrated. Before letting a patron go home, I want to make sure they have a library card and the knowledge of their password. On the instruction I would highlight the area for them to pay special attention, i.e. right format and the lending period. “In case you run into any difficulty you call me.” I gave my patrons my name card and encouraged them to call the library whenever they have a question. What a name card for, right?
Oh. She is not a lady in red anymore; she wrote down her name for me. Her name is Kathy and she is ok for me to use her name in case I mentioned our case.
Thank you, Kathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment