Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tea Time with Librarian-First Encounter


            When, Lynette, my branch manager came to get me informing me that there were two people waiting outside the auditorium for today’s Tea Time meeting, I didn’t have second thought; I was expecting Ruby and her friend, a potential club member. The sight of Sherri, my newly acquired friend, was a surprise. She had another surprise for me: she brought a friend, an aspiring writer, to see me. What a good start for this budding young reading club! Thank you, Sherri and Ruby.
            There were 4 of us present at today’s Tea Time: Ruby, Sherri, me, and Lily, Ruby’s friend. First of all, members took turns to introduce themselves. Since the purpose of a Tea Time with librarian and members was to talk and share, more like a social call, there were plenty of topics to be talked and discussed. While Ruby and Sherri had a conversation, I began my reference interview with the new comer, Lily. Lily likes to have good time with friends, watch movies, and go shopping. Asked the history of learning English Lily mentioned different learning places with ESL programs, places like community colleges and churches. Mentioned how many years of reading experiences in both languages Lily said something allowing me to pinpoint her barriers to have a long term reading habit. Everything goes deeper when it goes personal.
            Back to group talk, Ruby shared her own experience how she started from an author and finished one series and, now, onto the second series by the same author. Meanwhile, Ruby also found another author who is productive and whose books are interesting and easy to read for someone who really wants to dig up the buried learned language skills gained from schooling at her youth. Good for Ruby!
            Sherri stuck out her tiny tongue as if a little girl was caught doing something naughty when I pointed the notebook and pen I gave her asking and reminding her not to forget to submit her book description/summary at next reading meeting. I will give each new member a notebook and a pen at their first meeting. To me, reading and writing are like preparing a performance on stage. If a performer wants to perfect her show she has to work hard to get ready for her program; it’s reading time. Before delivering the event, she has to rehearse to finalize her preparation; this is writing. When the show hostess gets everything done, all she has to do is to be herself. Once a person is good at reading and writing, everyday is her showtime; she is ready to launch and aim high.
            After everyone took turns to talk, I shared what a “WOW” moment feels like with my member. When the great thing and wonderful feeling came, there was a moment of shortcut, like the time was frozen at the sight of the term that touched my heart and soul. Unknown what’s been happening I went on reading that afternoon at a corner table one winter afternoon at a local bookstore. I remember how warm the sunray shone on me that day. Then I froze minutes later as if a light bulb was turned on suddenly shocking me. Pages turned, I went back to the term that made all these things happened. The second sight of the term “ebony and ivory” in one of Robert Parker’s books got me understood that I just had my “WOW” moment, the moment I came to understand and appreciate the beauty and art of the language called “English,” a subject I flunked, feared, and failed many times at my school years. I felt something stirring inside me that day and it lasted days after that afternoon.
            Mind set is everything!
            If one goes on holding the idea of learning and sharpening a language, the burden and heaviness of gaining something would drag down a person’s motivation and sabotage the will and drive to enjoy reading, an ability and habit that would last a lifetime’s joy and sense of happiness. Whenever I read a good book I would call mother and thank her for this wonderful gift she allows me to acquire and gain. Most of my childhood playmates didn’t go to college or even finish high school for they had to give up education to help their parents make a living. My mother insisted me to go higher, to leave home to weave my dreams. Without her support and insistence I couldn’t imagine where I would have been at this age.
            Healthy reading habit allows a person to ponder upon things, good as well as bad, piques a person’s curiosity for answers and asks more questions, and invites creativity and imagination. Next time when you walk in the library and check out books for your children, don’t forget to take home some books for yourself.
Your dreams start @ public library!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment